École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE)
CRIOBE - Perpignan
USR3278 CRIOBE EPHE-CNRS-UPVD
58 Avenue Paul Alduy
Domaines de Recherche:
- Coral reef ecology
- Molecular Ecology
- Microbial Ecology
- Trophic Interactions
- Food Webs
- DNA Metabarcoding
Sélection de Publications
- Brandl, S.J., Tornabene, L.M., Goatley, C.H.R., Casey, J.M., Morais, R.A., Baldwin, C.C., Côté, I.M., Parravicini, V., Schiettekatte, N.M.D., Bellwood, D.R. 2019. Demographic dynamics of the smallest marine vertebrates fuel coral reef ecosystem functioning. Science 364, 1189–1192.
- Casey, JM, CP Meyer, F Morat, SJ Brandl, S Planes, V Parravicini. 2019. Reconstructing hyperdiverse food webs: gut content metabarcoding as a tool to disentangle trophic interactions on coral reefs. Methods in Ecology and Evolution.
- Brandl, SJ, DB Rasher, IM Côté, JM Casey, ES Darling, JS Lefcheck, and JE Duffy. In Press. Functioning coral reefs for the future: eight core processes and the influence of biodiversity. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.
- Staaterman, E, SJ Brandl, M Hauer, JM Casey, AJ Gallagher, and AN Rice. 2018. Individual voices in a cluttered soundscape: acoustic ecology of the Bocon Toadfish, Amphicthys cryptocentrus. Environmental Biology of Fishes 1-17.
- Brandl, SJ, JM Casey, JE Duffy, and N Knowlton. 2017. Marine dock pilings foster diverse, native cryptobenthic fish assemblages across bioregions. Ecology and Evolution 1-11.
- Casey, JM, AH Baird, SJ Brandl, MO Hoogenboom, JR Rizzari, AJ Frisch, CE Mirbach and SR Connolly. 2016. A test of trophic cascade theory: fish and benthic assemblages across a predator density gradient on coral reefs. Oecologia 183: 161-175.
- Casey, JM, SR Connolly, and TD Ainsworth. 2015. Coral transplantation triggers shift in microbiome and promotion of coral disease associated potential pathogens. Scientific Reports 5: 11903.
- Casey, JM, JH Choat, and SR Connolly. 2015. Coupled dynamics of territorial damselfishes and juvenile corals on the reef crest. Coral Reefs 34: 1-11.
- Casey, JM, TD Ainsworth, JH Choat and SR Connolly. 2014. Farming behaviour of reef fishes increases the prevalence of coral disease associated microbes and black band disease. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 281: 20141032.
- Casey, JM, ME Wilson, N Hollingshead and DG Haskell. 2009. The effects of exurbanization on bird and macroinvertebrate communities in deciduous forests on the Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee. International Journal of Ecology 2009: 539417.
I am a coral reef ecologist that investigates trophic interactions from bacteria to apex predators, and I am especially interested in taxonomic and cryptic diversity in marine systems. I completed my PhD in Marine Biology at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, James Cook University in Australia. I then moved to Washington DC as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, where I used molecular techniques to investigate global patterns of marine biodiversity. Currently, as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow through the École Pratique des Hautes Études, my main line of research is in French Polynesia, where I use fish gut content metabarcoding and stable isotope analysis to analyze trophic interactions and reconstruct coral reef food webs. My research is undertaken in conjunction with the Reef Services Project (http://reefservices.info/), which seeks to understand how climate change impacts coral reef ecosystem functioning and key services to humans.